Friday, May 17, 2013

Krakow- Auschwitz-Birkenau II


Auschwitz is one of the places I have wanted to visit. I know it will make me sad to see but I think with all the history that goes into this location it is a must see. Last year I visited Dachau in Germany and it was an emotional experience. There’s no doubt that this is a sad experience to have but it is also powerful. I have learned about concentration camps for years but after visiting one it becomes so real.
Auschwitz is located in Poland and was established May, 1940. Auschwitz was divided into three major camps: Auschwitz I (Stammlager), Auschwitz II (Birkenau) and Auschwitz III (Monowitz). Auschwitz-Birkenau was established as the extermination camp; there were two gas chambers at this camp. Auschwitz-Birkenau was the most notorious killing site of all time (Auschwitz-Birkenau).
After doing some research I found some history of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Death Camp. In 1939 Hitler annexed the old Polish town of Oswiecim to his Thrid Reich as Auschwitz. Only a short year later the Nazis started the conversion of the town’s abandoned barracks into a concentration camp. The first inmates arrived in 1940. In 1942, trainloads of European Jews started to come to Birkenau. Most of them were immediately killed in the Birkenau gas chambers (Auschwitz Death Camp). Horrible things happened at Auschwitz until finally in January 1945 Auschwitz was closed down.
After reading more about Auschwitz I am excited to go visit because being there in person will help me learn even more.
References:
Auschwitz-Birkenau. "Auschwitz-Birkenau Extermination Camp (Poland)." Auschwitz-Birkenau Extermination Camp (Poland). N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2013.
“Auschwitz Death Camp." Auschwitz. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 May 2013.
Photo References:
http://www.goingwithmygut.com/.a/6a00e55404668688330120a5f875bf970c-pi
http://www.bluespotphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/galleries/post-1849/full/Auschwitz-Birkenau,%20Krakow,%20Poland.jpg
This picture is so powerful...

I am speechless when I see these photos
 

No comments:

Post a Comment